Police exhume body of man beaten to death, arrest four in Akwa Ibom

Date:

Police exhume body of man beaten to death, arrest four in Akwa Ibom

Officers of the Akwa Ibom State Police Command have exhumed the body of a 26-year-old man, Nsikak Joshua and arrested four suspects over alleged murder in Nsit Ibom Local Government Area of the state.

The command’s spokesperson, DSP Timfon John, disclosed this in a statement issued in Uyo on Tuesday.

According to John, the incident was reported to the police on July 14, 2026, by the victim’s 52-year-old father, who alleged that his only son was beaten to death by four men identified as Otobong Nelson, popularly known as ‘Efok Ikid’, Inemesit Robert, Utibe Clement and Victor Robert.

The complainant alleged that after the victim died, the suspects brought his body to his residence, armed with spades, compelled him to indicate where the corpse should be buried, dug a shallow grave within the compound and buried the body before threatening him against reporting the matter to the police.

The police boss said detectives immediately launched an investigation, leading to the arrest of Otobong Nelson and Utibe Clement on July 17, while efforts are ongoing to apprehend the remaining suspects.

During interrogation, Nelson reportedly confessed that the deceased had been summoned to answer allegations of threatening a neighbour with a machete.

John said Nelson admitted ordering the other suspects to assault Joshua with sticks, resulting in injuries that led to his death.

The police further stated that the suspect confessed that after the victim died, they transported the body to his father’s residence and falsely claimed he had been killed in a hit-and-run accident.

They also allegedly persuaded the father not to take the body to the mortuary before burying it in a shallow grave within the family compound.

The statement read in part, “Upon receipt of the report, detectives commenced immediate investigation. Acting on credible intelligence, operatives arrested Otobong Nelson and Utibe Clement on July 17, 2026. During interrogation, the first suspect, Otobong Nelson, made a confessional statement in which he admitted that the deceased had been summoned to answer an allegation of threatening a neighbour with a machete.

“He further confessed that he ordered his accomplices, identified as Utibe Clement, Victor Robert and Inemesit Robert, to assault the deceased with sticks, which resulted in his death.

“The suspect also confessed that after the victim died, he and others conveyed the corpse to the deceased’s father’s compound and falsely informed him that his son had been knocked down by a hit-and-run vehicle. They allegedly advised the father not to take the body to the mortuary, after which the corpse was buried in a shallow grave within the compound.

“Following police intervention, the remains of the deceased were exhumed and deposited at the morgue for preservation and autopsy.”

Reacting to the incident, the Commissioner of Police in the state, Baba Azare, described the alleged killing as barbaric and unacceptable.

He assured residents that everyone found to have participated in the alleged conspiracy, assault, murder, intimidation of witnesses or concealment of evidence would be thoroughly investigated and prosecuted in line with the law.

Patrick Odey

Patrick Odey is a journalist at Punch Newspapers with over 22 years of experience in the media industry. He holds a Bachelor’s degree in English Language from the University of Port Harcourt and a Postgraduate Diploma in Mass Communication from the Nigeria Institute of Journalism. He has worked with notable publications including Post Express, Daily Champion, and Daily Trust, before joining Punch Newspapers. His career reflects a strong commitment to credible journalism, in-depth reporting, and public interest storytelling.

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel

Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App

Source: Punch Newspapers – Latest News

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

BBNaija season 11: Kamsy becomes third housemate to be evicted

Kamsy has been evicted from the ongoing Big Brother Naija reality show. She became the third contestant to be evicted from the ongoing season 11 'Show Ya

Cameroon Outclass Malawi To Clinch First-Ever WAFCON Title

Cameroon cruised to a 3-0 victory over tournament debutants Malawi to claim their first ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) title, Yahoo Sports reports. Marie Ngah Manga’s close-range header put the Indomitable Lionesses ahead in the 20th minute and Naomi Eto doubled the lead…

Arsenal 3-0 Man City: Odegaard leads Gunners to Community Shield glory

Odegaard put the result beyond doubt two minutes into the second half. The post Arsenal 3-0 Man City: Odegaard leads Gunners to Community Shield glory appeared first on Premium Times Nigeria.

Enyimba, Heartland set for pre-season friendly in Owerri

Oriental rivals Enyimba and Heartland will clash in a pre-season friendly in Owerri, DAILY POST reports. The game is slated for the Dan Anyiam Stadium,