How global backlash, UEFA boycott threat forced FIFA to abandon World Cup investment plan

Date:

How global backlash, UEFA boycott threat forced FIFA to abandon World Cup investment plan

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has pulled the plug on the plan to allow private investment in the World Cup which had sparked a furious global backlash even among his allies.

AFP Sport details the timeline of the dramatic few days which significantly weakened Infantino, who had been basking in the warm afterglow of a highly successful 48-team World Cup spread over three countries:

– Tuesday –

The Times newspaper breaks the story, sparking UEFA to issue a strongly-worded statement “None of us are the owners of football. It is not FIFA’s to sell.”

FIFA, having issued a no comment to The Times, finally breaks cover with details of the plan saying: “It would retain a majority share in FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE)” but hoped to raise $4.2 billion later this year by “carefully selecting long-term investors who will purchase minority, non-controlling interests”.

British Prime Minister Andy Burnham, who campaigned tirelessly for justice for the families of Hillsborough victims, was vehemently opposed to the proposal.

“The World Cup is not a product. It is the greatest competition in world sport, and it was never anyone’s to sell,” he posted on X.

– Wednesday –

If Infantino had been hoping for reassurance from other confederations he was to be disappointed.

CONCACAF, Central and North American football’s governing body — which includes the three co-hosts of the World Cup, USA, Canada and Mexico — said it was “deeply concerned” at having not been consulted.

“We share the disappointment of many within our region and the game that this level of detail has been designed and shared publicly before any discussion with the relevant governance bodies and stakeholders has taken place,” read their statement.

The European Union made no bones about their opposition: “Hands off our game.”

The Asian Football Confederation — one of whose members, Saudi Arabia, is to host the 2034 World Cup — expressed their disappointment at not being informed of the plans.

Various media outlets reported Infantino had sent a letter to FIFA’s member associations saying they will each receive $40 million if they back the plan — but they must sign up by September 19.

Infantino hit back later on Wednesday in a video.

“Fans from everywhere in the world would gain immeasurably from this game-changing potential because it will transform football in their countries,”

– Thursday –

Infantino’s video message nothing to calm tempers — UEFA, whose president Aleksander Ceferin boycotted the World Cup final to show unhappiness with FIFA, had had enough.

They issued a statement saying they would boycott all FIFA competitions  — in the recent World Cup which Spain won, three of the four semi-finalists were European.

“No UEFA national teams will participate in any FIFA competition for so long as these proposals remain alive,” read their statement.

Once again the European Union fell in behind the continent’s governing body, praising them for “defending the integrity of the game”.

Infantino took a further hit when CONCACAF’S 41 members unanimously rejected the proposal.

– Friday –

Seemingly impervious to the mounting criticism and shrugging aside UEFA’s threat of a boycott, FIFA ploughed on issuing a statement that it was full steam ahead.

“Nobody is selling football,” FIFA said in the statement.

“This is not something FIFA would ever entertain.”

FIFA said it had heard the feedback from confederations.

“We respect the feedback and concern aired in public and reaffirm our commitment to an open and democratic consultation,” the statement said.

Instead of righting the ship the vessel took on more water hours later with the resignation of Infantino’s Special Advisor Carlos Cordeiro.

The former investment banker and ex-head of the US Soccer Federation did not mince his words.

“Let me be clear: I had no involvement in this proposal, and I oppose it unequivocally.

“It is a bad deal for FIFA’s member associations, a bad deal for football, and a bad deal for the long-term future of the game,” he wrote in his resignation statement.

The AFC also chipped in offering little succour to the increasingly beleaguered Infantino.

“The fact that the situation has reached the point where the real possibility of a FIFA World Cup boycott has entered public discourse should concern everyone who cares about the future of our game,” said the AFC.

Burnham chipped in by saying Infantino was “the wrong man for the job”.

Even South America’s governing body CONMEBOL — seen as close to Infantino — failed to swing behind it, finally issuing a statement saying it had requested “additional information and clarifications”.

– Saturday –

The white flag was raised.

“Our purpose has always been — and will always be — to unite and improve,” Infantino said in a statement.

“As a result, this proposal will not proceed.”

AFP

Tosin Oyediran

Tosin Oyediran is a journalist at Punch Newspapers with over eight years of professional experience in reporting and storytelling. He is known for conducting incisive interviews and producing compelling human-angle stories that bring clarity and depth to the news. Tosin covers a broad range of beats including politics, health, advocacy, sports, and entertainment, with a strong focus on people-centred reporting. His work reflects firsthand newsroom experience, editorial insight, and a commitment to accurate, engaging, and trustworthy journalism.

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel

Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App

Source: Punch Newspapers – Latest News

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

BBNaija season 11: Kamsy becomes third housemate to be evicted

Kamsy has been evicted from the ongoing Big Brother Naija reality show. She became the third contestant to be evicted from the ongoing season 11 'Show Ya

Cameroon Outclass Malawi To Clinch First-Ever WAFCON Title

Cameroon cruised to a 3-0 victory over tournament debutants Malawi to claim their first ever Women’s Africa Cup of Nations (Wafcon) title, Yahoo Sports reports. Marie Ngah Manga’s close-range header put the Indomitable Lionesses ahead in the 20th minute and Naomi Eto doubled the lead…

Arsenal 3-0 Man City: Odegaard leads Gunners to Community Shield glory

Odegaard put the result beyond doubt two minutes into the second half. The post Arsenal 3-0 Man City: Odegaard leads Gunners to Community Shield glory appeared first on Premium Times Nigeria.

Enyimba, Heartland set for pre-season friendly in Owerri

Oriental rivals Enyimba and Heartland will clash in a pre-season friendly in Owerri, DAILY POST reports. The game is slated for the Dan Anyiam Stadium,