Police arrest second suspect over alleged vandalism of Bayelsa bridge

Date:

Police arrest second suspect over alleged vandalism of Bayelsa bridge

The Bayelsa State Police Command has arrested a second suspect allegedly involved in the vandalism of the newly commissioned Angiama–Oporoma Bridge in Southern Ijaw Local Government Area of the state.

The command said the arrest followed intelligence-led operations by operatives of the State Criminal Investigation Department aimed at apprehending those responsible for damaging the critical infrastructure.

According to a statement issued on Saturday by the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Musa Mohammed, the first suspect, identified as Daniel Tarila, 26, from Angiama community, was arrested on July 3 in possession of two iron plates allegedly removed from the bridge.

The police spokesperson said Tarila had since been remanded at the Okaka Custodial Centre pending further legal proceedings.

Mohammed added that the second suspect, Peres Daniel, 31, who had allegedly evaded arrest, was apprehended on July 14 at about 5 p.m. on Obele Street in Yenagoa following credible intelligence.

He said, “Following an intelligence report, operatives of the State Criminal Investigation Department launched a coordinated operation that led to the successful arrest of two suspects for allegedly vandalising the newly commissioned Angiama–Oporoma Bridge.”

The police spokesman further stated, “The second suspect, who had earlier evaded arrest, was arrested on July 14 on Obele Street, Yenagoa. Investigation is ongoing, and the suspect will be charged to court upon the conclusion of the investigation.”

The Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, CP Iyamah Daniel Edebor, reaffirmed the command’s resolve to safeguard public infrastructure across the state.

Edebor warned that the police would not tolerate acts of vandalism or sabotage against government property.

He said, “The Command remains committed to protecting critical national infrastructure and warns that acts of vandalism and sabotage of public property will not be tolerated.”

The commissioner urged residents to remain vigilant and promptly report suspicious activities around government facilities and other critical infrastructure to the nearest police station.

Stay informed and ahead of the curve! Follow The Punch Newspaper on WhatsApp for real-time updates, breaking news, and exclusive content. Don’t miss a headline – join now!

Join The Punch Newspapers Channel

Stay in the know—fast. Get instant alerts, breaking headlines, and exclusive stories with the Punch News App. Download now and never miss a beat.

Get the Punch News App

Source: Punch Newspapers – Latest News

Share post:

Subscribe

spot_imgspot_img

Popular

More like this
Related

PHOTOS: Ballots, faces, other moments from #OsunDecides2026

Through these photographs, DevReporting presents a visual account of #OsunDecides2026.

2baba’s wife Natasha emerges Edo House of Assembly Minority Leader

Natasha Osawaru, the wife of singer 2Baba, has emerged as the Edo State House of Assembly minority leader. The lawmaker representing Egor Constituency was

Super Eagles, Super Falcons, Others’ Revival: Bazuaye Offers Blueprint, Demands Roles for 1985 Eaglets

Super Eagles, Super Falcons: Bazuaye outlines a revival plan and demands top football roles for members of Nigeria’s 1985 Golden Eaglets.

NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure

Before Monday's announcement by the NFF, Justine Madugu had apologised to Nigerians, accepting responsibility for the disappointing results in Morocco. The post NFF sacks Super Falcons technical crew after World Cup failure appeared first on Premium Times Nigeria.